Hello, I am a 57-year-old female For the past couple

Patient: Hello, I am a 57-year-old female. For the past couple of months, when I wake up I have pain approximately in the area of my right kidney. It feels like a bad pulled muscle, hard to move. I have noticed that once I’m up and moving around a bit it goes away. But I recently connected the fact that it goes away after my morning bowel movement. I thought this might be a kidney problem, but now I’m wondering if it’s a colon problem. I have used Seimens urine strips to detect UTI and tested myself a couple days in a row and there are no leukocytes and no protein. I’m avoiding going to the doctor because I don’t want to have a bunch of tests trying to pinpoint what’s going on. Any suggestion on where to start? Thanks!

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query to ATD for an opinion,The very symptom that you experience the pain in your right kidne y area especially on waking up and it typically relieves after the bowel movement indicates the possible intraluminal gas formation causing bloating and then distended colon which causes pressure over retroperitoneum area, over the kidney are and causing the renal area to pain and feel heavy. The right kidney is higher than the left and hence likely to be affected more with pressure.Astehre has been no urine infection or proteins or even hematuria ( blood in urine), calculus is also ruled out. With no pain running from groin to loin, again the ureteral cause is ruled out. The cause is possibly positional or dyspepsia causing bloating which causes para renal muscles to temporarily go in spasm causing the heaviness. Excessive bloating can also be produced by helminthiasis and eating a high fat diet which causes fermentation and hence bloating.It is suggested that a stool test may be done for helminths and a proton pump inhibitor like TAB PANTOPRAZOLE 40mg once a day may be taken for 2 weeks to control dyspepsia. If the spasm is not relieved and reoccurs then an ultrasound kidney would be necessary to rule out any local lesion and you should be visiting your physician then.I hope i have answered your query in detail,Wishing you good health,Regards