Hello I am an 18 year old male with hip and abdominal pain

Patient

Q: Hello.
I am an 18 year old male.
I have been having this problem lately, since I traveled abroad for education purposes. First it started with having hip pain and abdominal pain and I convinced myself that I had colon cancer, so I constantly went to doctors and eventually had a Cat scan. It showed that there was nothing wrong with me. Afterwards I thought I had bone cancer and then again skin cancer, brain tumor and throat cancer. My problem is that ever symptom I get I think is cancer. All of this had happen to me in around a 7 month period. Now since a couple of days I have had lower back pain and I immediately connected the symptom to cancer. What do you recommend of me to do. Please I can't take this anymore because I always think the worst of every symptom.
Thank you very much

Doctor

A:   Hi.
Thanks for your query.
I have read and understood your problem.

To recapitulate: 18-year-old male - problems started with travel abroad for education - 7 months duration - started with hip pain and abdominal pain - though of colon cancer - consulted Doctors - CAT scan - normal - thought of bone cancer, brain tumor, skin cancer, throat cancer - thinking of cancer with every symptom - lower back pain for a few days - thinking again of cancer - wants recommendation on what to do.

I have read and re-read your history and understood that you have a condition called Cancer-phobia. This condition occurs in early age of yours if you have lost someone near and dear of the family or friends. This may also occur due to excessive stress or anxiety. This is sort of obsessive thinking that you have cancer.

I know that you must be realizing this and the more you want to run away from this thought, the more it comes to you.
Do not worry. Please consult a Counselor or a Family Physician to discuss this problem and I am sure you will get a proper way to come out of this problem.

I hope this answer helps you to get out of this problem easily. Do not worry.