Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Hello I am currently 6 weeks 2 days pregnant

Hello I am currently 6 weeks 2 days pregnant

Patient: Hello. I am currently 6 weeks 2 days pregnant. I had an ultrasound at 6 weeks that showed gestational sac and yolk sac. No fetal pole. I have been having scant vaginal bleeding / spotting. Also severe NVP. What are the chances this is a viable pregnancy ? Would I be this Sick if it wasn’t viable? They are doing another ultrasound in 2 weeks. I am so miserable. If this pregnancy is going to continue I can deal with it. If it’s not viable I want to get a DC asap so u can start to feel better.

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query to askthedoctor.com for an opinion,If you are just 6weeks+ 2 days pregnant as of now a nd there has been no fetal pole but a yolk sac then it is rightly suggested that you should wait for another week or two and repeat the scan to confirm if the fetal pole arrives. It is usually seen by 7-8 weeks of gestation when fetal heart rate can be seen along with the fetal pole.However, if there has been spotting / bleeding per vaginum continuously then you should opt for the hcg level test where it is done on two separate occasions 48 hrs apart. If the levels of hcg double or the rise is more than 66%, it is likely that the pregnancy is viable and it is worth waiting for the foetal pole to arrive. In case it is not, then it is a nonviable pregnancy and it can then be considered for medical abortion with medicines.However it is suggested that you should be patient and get the ultrasound done after 2 weeks as advised by your physician to cater to possibility of late arrival of fetal pole and if still it doesn’t then you may opt to terminate the pregnancy.I hope i have addressed your concerns in detail,Wishing you good health,Regards