Hello, I am currently a 19 year old female and

Q: Hello, I am currently a 19 year old female and have been recently diagnosed with osteoporosis. I believe it is related to my dramatic weight loss (from 54kg in January to 41kg; now sitting at 43kg) in the past 5 months due to uni stress and selective eating (not anorexia but similar traits). My periods have also therefore stopped and the specialist (for periods not osteoporosis) prescribed me contraceptives for this. My question is,

1. I don't know what foods to eat to gain weight but also not make my osteoporosis worse i.e. I know I shouldn't consume red meat and processed sugars and only eat fruits, vegetables and lean proteins for osteoporosis but would this help in my weight gain? My priority is gaining weight but I want to do so properly without making conditions worse, so what foods should I eat? i.e. should I avoid fatty oily foods etc.

2. I don't know if I should still take the contraceptives to fast track my periods or wait until I've gained weight and see if they start again, as I have been feeling nauseated ever since taking the pills.

3. Is Osteoporosis reversible at my age? I'm really worried and stressing out as I've heard it isn't curable but rather maintained so that it doesn't become worse.

4. I have taken at least 5 blood tests in 5 months and each showed a fluctuation in white blood cell count. It is currently below normal. What does this mean?

A:   Hello
Thank you for posting your query on ATD.

I have gone through your query and understand your concern. You have got anorexia and taking less food so your weight decreased, you got osteoporosis and your periods stopped. You should eat all types of food to get balanced diet. These include proteins such as meat, chicken, milk etc. You should all include in your diet cereals and green leafy vegetables. You should also include some fatty foods (oily) food also in diet as these are essential for synthesis and absorption of hormones and fat soluble vitamins. You should take supplements of vitamin D3 and trace elements and calcium supplements to recover osteoporosis. Osteoporosis is treatable in your age by vitamin D3, calcium, other supplements and exercises in your age. You should restrict your diet and gradually your count will improve. For contraceptive issue you can consult your gynecologist. I think your period will start once your diet and weight improve. Hope your query get answered.

Wishing you a good health.
Take care.