Hello, I have a marble sized knot popping out from under my knees caps

Patient

Q: Hello, I have a marble sized knot popping out from under my knees cap cause if pain then it will slide back under my knee cap just to pop back out a few mins later. This is causing a lot of pain to walk or to even sit down

Doctor

A:   Hi,

Thank for your query, albeit short and specific.

Noted the history of a marble sized knot popping out from knee cap - cause if pain and will slide back under knee cap - pops out a few minutes later - causing a lot of pain to walk or to even sit down.

The commonest cause of such a swelling is bursitis, the part of the inflamed bursa appearing as a lump/knot and since it is part of the anatomical structure it can slide back to the position to pop out through the defect.
The pain is due to inflammation and occupying the small anatomical space in a confined area.

This can be confirmed by an MRI of the affected area.
Clinical evaluation and examination by an Orthopedic Surgeon for confirming the diagnosis, correlate with the MRI and make a decision about the further mode of treatment.

I hope this answers your query.

Patient: The commonest cause of such a swelling is bursitis, the part of the inflamed bursa appearing as a lump/knot and since it is part of the anatomical structure it can slide back to the position to pop out through the defect.
So I can have a bursa under my knee cap? And if this is what I have what should I do to ease the pain? Should I wear a knee brace? Take ibuprofen? Or is there a more natural way to ease the pain? I don't have the money to see a Dr. And this has become a problem not over the past 2 years
Doctor: 2 years is a long time to suffer, ideally needs clinical evaluation, investigations as we discussed above.
Well, as per your wish I would advise you the following:
- First of all avoid all the activities that put a strain on the knee, for example use lift if available to avoid stairs. Going down the stairs is more dangerous that going up the stairs.
- Avoid sudden turning.
- While sitting or standing up take help of the nearby structures with the help of hands to reduce weight on the knees.
- Knee cap or brace to support your knee and of the correct size to suit your knee and surrounding.
- Take Ibuprofen if it suits you at 8 hourly duration
- Take a PPI like Omeprazole to avoid acidity related problems common with any anti-inflammatory medication.
- Take full rest if possible.
Try all these for 7 days and give me the feedback.