Hello I have been diagnosed with asthma since I was 3 yrs old.

Patient

Q: Hello I have beeen diagnosed with asthma since I was three years old, I am now 18. I am now experiencing more trouble with my every day activities that I have ever before. I have also been highly prone to bronchitis which is something I have never truly experienced before. I have come down with bronchitis 3 times since Spetember 2014 till January 2015, basically every other month when I went back to the doctor for a barking cough, overproduction of mucus, sore throat, and a limt on daily activity they told me it was bronchitis. I thought that it might be cause just buy my weight issue, so I quickly dropped 27 pounds from December till now, February 7.Yet my asthma seems to keep worsening. I have to use my inhaler at least twice a day even if I do not exercise. And I seem to have a persistent barking cough and sore throat, but nothing seems to wake me up at night. And my inhalers do work, but I still have to do a breathing treatment after heavy exercise or my typical workouts. I have never been hospitalized with asthma as a child a course of had attacks and was rushed into an nearby EC but I've never been hospitalized for periods of time as many asthmatics have. So I was just wondering if this is a typical thing for asthmatics, does your asthma just worsen as you get older, because I was once told that I would grow out of this just seems to get worse and worse and worse I was just wondering if this is a normal thing or is this something I should be concerned about I need to go see like a different specialist for. I have mainly been seeing my primary care pediatrician, only once since like 2006 have I seen a true allergist a pulmonologist and that was back in September after my first bout with bronchitis. So I'm just wondering if it Is just time to go have like my baseline test done again and see if there's any treatment that I need or is this just something typical that I need to get over?

Doctor

Thank you for your query at AskTheDoctor.com
You seem to have developed a lower respiratory tract infection with worsened your asthma. Bronchial Asthma itself can cause a lot of coughing especially early in the morning.
I am not sure if you took antibiotics, but you have mentioned that you have persistent sore throat and a barking cough which indicates an infection. Asthmatics are prone to infections and hence it is important that the infection is controlled first. Otherwise, this will worsen the asthma, which seems to be your case.

So I suggest a detailed evaluation starting from Chest X-RAY, PFT ( Pulmonary Function Test ), Sputum culture, CBC ( to check for eosinophilia ). After these tests, you can follow up with a pulmonologist who will give you medicines accordingly. I feel a course of antibiotics such as Cefixime or Augmentin ( Amoxicillin + Clavulanic Acid ) will be helpful in controlling the infection which in turn will reduce the asthma too. There are lots of bronchodilators such as Montelukast which can be added to your medicine regimen along with the daily inhalers.

Hope this was helpful,
Regards.