Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Hello, I have been experiencing heart palpitations since las

Hello, I have been experiencing heart palpitations since las

Patient: Hello, I have been experiencing heart palpitations since last wednesday. I went to ER on Friday and got no diagnosis. I am 16 weeks pregnant and I’m unsure why I am experiencing these palpitations or how to stop them. What can I do to stop them?

Doctor: HelloThanks for using “Ask The Doctor” for posting your query.Heart palpitations suggest that there could be an ir regular heart rate, or an increased/decreased heart rate, or a decreased/increased blood pressure or it could be due to anxiety per se. The former causes can be ruled out by getting an ECG done. This will help in ruling out most of the heart rate related problems. Anxiety can occur during pregnancy due to stress of planning for child rearing. This will require some counselling for childbirth and child care by a psychologist. but before that an ECG is a must.Do meet your doctor and request for an ECG.Hope this helps,Wish you a good health.