Hello I have had a strong salty taste in my

Patient

Q: Hello. I have had a strong salty taste in my mouth for 3 days. I've also noticed that my tongue is swollen and i think it's called a crenated tongue(grooves on the side). Should I be worried about this?

Symptoms:  Swollen tongue. Crenated tongue. Salty taste in mouth for 3 days
Hello I have had a strong s...-1
Doctor

Thank you for your medical query at AskTheDoctor.com

From the image you shared it does look like a geographic tongue which can arise normally in a few individuals. It doesn't cause any harm.

Regarding the salty taste, it can happen due to reflux disease when some acidic contents are refluxed back leading to salty taste in the mouth and throat. So you can try a course of Cap. omeprazole 20 mg twice daily for 2 weeks and it will improve. Also, try to avoid spicy or fatty food for the time being.

Hope this was helpful,
Feel free to discuss further,
Regards.

Patient: So the swelling and ridges are something I don't need to be concerned about
Doctor: Hello,
The swelling could be due to the reflux which is also causing the salty taste.
But the ridges are fine.