Hello, i have type 1 diabetes and used the same nidle to check my sister's sugar levels.

Q: Hello, i have type 1 diabetes and used the same needle to check my sisters sugar levels. Later i forgot to change needle and regularly checked my own blood. My sister was later that day diagnosed with mono. Do i have a high chance of getting mono since we had a small swape of blood?also if i do have a high chance of getting it what do i have expecting for me?

Thanks for the query to ATD for an opinion,
Mono is spread by person-to-person contact. Saliva is the primary method of transmitting mono, which leads to the infection of B lymphocytes in the mouth and throat. Infectious mononucleosis developed its common name of "kissing disease" from this prevalent form of transmission among teenagers. It typically takes between four to eight weeks for symptoms of mono to appear after the initial infection with EBV. A person with mono can also pass the disease by coughing or sneezing, causing small droplets of infected saliva and/or mucus to be suspended in the air which can be inhaled by others. Sharing food or beverages from the same container or utensil can also transfer the virus from one person to another since contact with infected saliva may result.
Also there is a small risk that MONO virus can be transferred through blood or needles, yes.
As you have been exposed there are though little chances for you to get infected but it is advised that you should get your self examined for the virus after 2 weeks . In the meantime watch for any throat infection or swelling or spleen , if required steroids may be used. However there is no post exposure prophylaxis which has been suggested for EBV.
I hope i have answered your query,
Wishing you good health,