Hello I just took cough syrup with codeine as prescribed

Patient

Q: Hello. I just took cough syrup with codeine as prescribed for a respiratory infection. I was coughing terribly and could not sleep. I also had a headache and, without thinking, took ibuprofen too. Is this ok?

Doctor

A:   Welcome to Ask The Doctor.
We are here to help you on this medical health advice platform.

There is no interaction between Codeine and Ibuprofen, but both of these drugs should be taken only under guidance of the doctor. Codeine will help you only in case you have dry cough, otherwise it will not help. My advice for you is to get evaluated for the cause of this cough. Your doctor will evaluate you for any evidence of chest congestion like wheezes, and if found, he will treat you with bronchodilators like Salbutamol, Bromohexine. I would advise in such scenario to get a hemogram with ESR and Chest- Xray done. If the Chest Xray and these blood investigations show no sign of infection then, you would be treated for Bronchitis. Treatment constitutes anti allergic drugs like Levocetrzine and Montelukast and in severe cases inhalers containing like Salbutamol and Steriod inhaler like Budenoside.

In case, you have ongoing fever, you might also require antibiotics like Azithromycin or Amoxycillin as you might also be having infection.
I would advice you to do steam inhalation to get a better relief from cough and to take Paracetamol for headache, fever and body pains.
You don't need to worry for the combination you have taken as single doses are unlikely to harm you.

Share my opinion with your doctor before acting upon it.
I hope it helps.
Stay Healthy.

Patient: Thank you. I am on augmentin and albuterol nebulizer treatments, a flovent inhaler, and had a 125 mg injection of prednisone in the office today. I start the packet of prednisone tomorrow. She prescribed the codene cough syrup to help me sleep with cough, and did caution against usung if wheezing. Im not currently wheezing tonight, though i was throughout the day. It made me nervous because i had taken the codene cough syrup with ibuprofen and wanted to check to see that it's ok. Thank you for your response.
Doctor: Hello , In that case, your treatment in going fine , but just avoid Ibuprofen next time. Take Paracetamol for pain and fever.
Get Well Soon.
Patient: Ok thank you very much for all of the information.
Doctor: We are always available for you. Take Care.