Hello, I started running just under a year ago

Patient

Q: Hello, I started running just under a year ago, I sort out advice and went with the NHS couch to 5k plan. I managed to complete it and was running 5k's 3 times a week. After a break I wanted to get back into it and so started from the beginning again. I am currently at the point where I am suppose to be running for more than 10 mins at a time however I am now experiencing extreme pain in my lower legs mostly my calf muscle and surround area; it feels like it is tightening that much something is going to pop. Along with that I have numbness in my ankle and also pain in my lower back. It begins after I have started running and once I slow to a walk it starts to ease but doesn't actually stop hurting till I stop completely. What can I do to try and stop this from happening?

Doctor

A:   Hi.
Thanks for your query.

Noted your history of running stint, the gap and trial again with pains in the calf and lower back and numbness in the ankle.
Your addition history is very classical: It begins after I have started running and once I slow to a walk it starts to ease but doesn't actually stop hurting till I stop completely.

This suggests that most probable reason of such a problem is most probably the discs at the thoracolumbar are.
An MRI of the lower spine can diagnose the problems and gives the plan for further problem.
Clinical evaluation and physical examination by an Orthopedic surgeon can add on to the diagnosis, plan for treatment. You have to do regularly do the follow-ups too.

I hope this answers your query.