Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Hello I used goldbond body powder for several day in

Hello I used goldbond body powder for several day in

Patient: Hello I used goldbond body powder for several day in underwear, it caused irritation redness on penis and sore to the touch. What can I get to cure help problem ? Plz

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query to ATD for an opinion,The active ingredients of Original Strength Gold Bond Powder ar e Menthol (0.15%), for anti-itch, and zinc oxide (1.0%), for skin protection. Some product variants, such as Gold Bond Extra Strength Powder, offer higher concentrations of the active ingredients. Now being a menthol based product and the penile skin being very delicate, it is bound to cause counter irritation effect which can cause itching and soreness followed by redness over the penile skin.It is suggested that the local groin application through putting the powder in the underwear should be avoided with immediate effect and the local area may be washed with gentle/ mild baby soap for removing the powder first, then a local emollient like petroleum jelly may be applied over the reddened area to allow reduction in itching and soreness. This would help it to subside naturally in next 6-8 hrs but the relief from itching may be almost immediate. However this local application may have to be repeated twice or thrice a day till the redness and soreness decrease. Also important would be to take an antihistaminic like fexofenadine 180mg once a day, available on prescription. This shall help hasten recovery.I hope i have answered your query in detail,Wishing you speedy recovery,Regards