Hello I was in the emergency room on Monday for

Q: Hello. I was in the emergency room on Monday for severe abdominal pain that had lasted since Saturday. It started around my belly button and spread from there. I was diagnosed with a UTI and had an ultrasound that showed no problems in the abdominal area. I have been on ciprofloxacin (500 mg every 12 hours) since Monday and the pain has subsided. However, I recently went for a shower and noticed a foul smelling ooze coming out of my belly button. It is a dark brown around the bellow button but if I look inside (I have a deep innie) there is a white-ish ooze. I am thinking it is possible I have a belly button infection that is being treated by the antibiotics but I am not sure if i need to return to the ER. I live in Spain which makes communicating with doctors a bit problematic because I don't speak the language perfectly.

Symptoms:  Foul smelling brown and white ooze from belly button

Thank you for your query at AskTheDoctor.com
Yes, it definitely does sound like a belly button infection.
I would advise you to start applying Mupirocin ointment locally on the belly button area, twice daily.
It may take 3-5 days to settle down.

If it worsens, or the discharge increases, then I recommend you visit the ER, but as of now just the ointment would do.

Feel free to discuss further.

Patient: Thank you! Should I apply it around the belly button or actually attempt to put it inside the belly button? I know it can be quite dangerous to push thing inside so my guess is that I should apply it on the surface only?
Doctor: Yes apply only on the surface, and you can apply gently even inside. It is not going to cause any harm.
You may need prescription for the medicine.
Patient: Thank you! I appreciate your help!
Doctor: Thanks and God bless!
You can write back to me once you feel better.