Hello, I was just sitting on the couch when I felt the urge to push

Q: Hello, I was just sitting on the couch when I felt the urge to push down below, so I did a little, and a big gush of liquid came out, I looked down to see, and at least a cup of blood everywhere, also this morning I had been experiencing extreme lower back pain which got worse as the day went by. So anyway, I went to the toilet and out came so much blood and what seemed to be large blood clots, I also felt rather light headed and now my back pain is gone. Before all this happened I thought I was just having my period as I'd been bleeding for almost a week now. But now my bleeding is gone. Have I just experienced a miscarriage? I did a test about 2 and a half weeks ago and it came back negative.

Thanks for the query,

gOing by the history and sequence of events described it is likely that you may have undergone an abortion unless proven otherwise. A sudden gush of blood with large clots in a delayed cycle indicates towards a likely possibility of pregnancy. However, this can be confirmed with the serum beta hCG test which can confirm for sure if you were pregnant or not. This should be done within 2 days from the start of bleeding as the hCG levels remain high still for next 2 days, which can then confirm pregnancy and ascertain firmly that the clots were part of a natural abortion procedure.
But if the test is negative then pregnancy is ruled out and the delay with excessive blood loss in the form of clots can be attributed to probable stress-induced hormonal imbalance. I hope I have answered your query in detail.

Wishing you good health,