Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Hello i was sewing something and i found a needle on the floor

Hello i was sewing something and i found a needle on the floor

Patient: Hello i was sewing something and i found a needle on the floor. My 10 month was playing around. I dont know if there was other needles so he swalloed. The box was closed but i am still worried. Is there any simptoms if he has a neddle in his body? Cause i disnt see him so he is playing now ok eating. But i am still afraid.

 

 

Doctor: HiThank you for the question.If your toddler swallowed something that’s not sharp or otherwise potentially danger ous and it doesn’t seem stuck in his throat, he’ll probably do just fine on his own, passing the object in his stool and ending up no worse for the experience. keep a close eye on him and call his doctor if he starts vomiting, drooling, refusing to eat, running a fever, coughing, wheezing, or making a whistling sound when he inhales. Give the doctor a call if you don’t see the object in your toddler’s stool in the next couple of days.If your toddler may have swallowed something sharp (like a toothpick or needle) or otherwise dangerous (like a watch battery or more than one small magnet), take him to the doctor right away even if he seems fine. These things may need to be removed rather than allowed to pass because they may perforate your child’s esophagus, stomach, or intestines, leak dangerous substances, or even create a small electric current.I hope this will help you.

 


 

 
Ask The Doctor
    Ask The Doctor
Dr. Jimmy Obaji M.D.

Dr. Jimmy Obaji M.D.

Dr. Jimmy Obaji completed his residency in Family Medicine at the University of Manitoba. He currently operates a walk-in-clinic in downtown Toronto.

Book Appointment