Hello, I was very recently diagnosed with asthma and my new

Patient

Q: Hello,
I was very recently diagnosed with asthma and my new pulmnologist has me taking Qvar and Striverdi Respimat.
I just read on the Striverdi web site that it is NEVER to be taken for asthma!
I am now afraid to take it and cannot get my doctor to return my call.
I have only been taking it for three days.
Can I just stop taking it or do I have to wean myself from it?

Symptoms:  Stuffed up nose
Doctor

A:   HI.
Thanks for the information that you have provided.

Noted that you have been diagnosed as asthma and were prescribed Qvar and Striverdi Respimat.
It is very true that Striverdi Respimat is not yet approved in Asthma as it is still under evaluation.
But since your pulmonologist has written this to you there might be reason for it.
Since it is already used as a bronchodilator in COPD and chronic bronchitis and/or emphysema, it can be taken; but it looks it is not given in asthma due to side effects which are not seen with another routinely used bronchodilator.
Hence it is better to reconfirm with your Pulmonologist.

Hope this helps you