Hello, I'm a 23 year old female and i have a large occipital lymph node

Patient

Q: Hello, I'm a 23 year old female and i have a hard rapidly enlarging ocipital lymph node. it is causing me a lot of neck and shoulder pain. i have lower back painn as well. what could be causing this? I also have been losing a lot of hair lately. my scalp has these small white grainy balls in it when i scratch. Could this be an infection? If so, what kind?

Doctor

A:   Hi.
Thanks for your query and an elucidate history.

Noted your history of an enlarging occipital lymph node, the reason is obviously scratching and the presence of white grainy balls in the scalp causing hair loss also.
The secondary infection might have caused the lymph node. The inflammation from this causes muscles to go into spasms and cause the neck and shoulder pain. The back pain too is usually caused by the muscle spasms.
I would advise you to consult a Dermatologist first so that the diagnosis of the scalp lesions can be found and both the conditions will get an appropriate treatment.
You will be given antibiotics and anti-inflammatory medicines along with medicines for the scalp condition.

This answer should help you