Hello I’m an 18 yr old male. I have a herniated disc.

Patient: Hello. I’m an 18 yr old male. I had a herniated disk problem back in 2011. My L4 and L5 disks had slipped. I underwent acupressure therapy and am fine now. Recently….I’ve started working out. Not many strenuous exercises and no heavy lifting. Its all going fine. But I started jogging two days back….and I have a pain at a point on my lumbar region…..exactly where the disks had slipped. But I know that pain. It different. That was related Tommy nerves and hence hurt all the way from my leg to the back. But this is on one point only. Seems more like a muscular pain than nervous. So should I be worried? Also….can I resume jogging or should I quit? I really wanna get into shape. Please help.

Doctor: Hello.Welcome to Ask The Doctor.You seem to be suffering from any of the following:1. Muscular back pain2. Pro lapsed Intervertebral Disc Compression.I would advise you to get following:1. X-ray Cervical spine2. X-ray LS spine3. Serum Calcium and Vitamin D3 levels4. ESR, CRP, Rheumatoid factor.For muscular pain i advise following:1. A combination of pain killer and muscle relaxant containing Diclofenac and Thiocolchicoside.2. To do hot fomentation of the affected area.3. To apply Diclofenac ointment locally.4. To get physiotherapy done particularly Ultrasonic heat massage.If the compression is found you would be treated with a combination of Pregabalin and Methylcobalamin.But if the compression is very severe, causing motor weakness, tingling on any side of the body then surgical intervention would be required. As far as exercise and jogging is concerned, if you are found to have severe disc compression, you have to avoid jogging. You can go for brisk walking.I hope it helps.Stay Healthy.