Ask The Doctor > Pending > Hello, I’m going to college to be a surgical technician

Hello, I’m going to college to be a surgical technician

Patient: Hello, I’m going to college to be a surgical technician to get my foot in the door to be a surgeon. I’ve been thinking long and hard about this, but I want to hear what a professional has to say about this. If you have the opportunity to save someone’s life with a surgery that they cannot possibly afford, even with insurances, would you pay for it yourself, with no personal gain? Take it one step further, if you were to help someone, would you have the heart to be able to tell someone else that you can’t help them? If you have already dealt with this situation, what choices did you make? I ask this, because I have no need for such an enormous paycheck, I have no desire to spend it on nonessential items; I only wish to help others. I would love to hear a full-hearted reply on this dilemma.

Doctor: