Hello, In my line of work we occasionaly have to

Q: Hello,

In my line of work we occasionaly have to examine explanted devices (mainly catheters). Earlier today i was examining a catheter with some dried blood on it. Whilst touching the device i always wore gloves. After touching the device i held my pen and then foolishly put the pen in my mouth. I was wondering what the risk of hiv/hep contamination was. I informed my work but they only consider a stick injury a risk.

Some background, the device came from an 81 year old male patient. The device had been stored for a month (at room temperature) before i touched it.