Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Hello I’ve been getting a lot of frequent nosebleeds lately

Hello I’ve been getting a lot of frequent nosebleeds lately

Patient: Hello I’ve been getting a lot of frequent nosebleeds lately. I am extremely worried for my health, and would like to get some info online before I head to the doctor. I remember having nosebleeds around 6 years ago and they seem to come once in a blue moon.Now this year they’ve appeared more often but especially for the pass two months. About a few weeks ago i think i caught a cold and it started off with extreme fatigue,weakness, headache, and lower back aces, then after it was followed by a cough and sneeze. During this time i had at least 4 nosebleeds a day when my nose was runny and i never had this before. After my nose cleared up i started feeling 95% with small coughs my nosebleeds occurred less often but still occurring 5 times a week. I took medicine about 3 times to get rid of the cold but the last few days i guess i felt to let my body naturally get rid of it without medicine. Apparently the next day I felt extremely tired, weak,minor headache, lower back ace again, and with some nauseous which made me loss appetite for a little. I took medicine and went away in one day. During that morning before feeling like that, i did however wear a small coat and exposed myself in the real cold air so maybe that was the cause. Still though, I’ve been getting nosebleeds everyday of the week, but i manage to stop the bleeding by pinching the cartilage and pressing under my nostrils. Often when its itchy i scratch it and it bleeds, but sometimes it can be randomly, and I’m starting to get them when i wake up in the morning. ( note: i only get nosebleeds on my left nostril) Two years ago i did get into a happen of cracking my nose especially on the left side, could it be a mechanical reason? Two days ago I also felt a sharp pain on my left elbow joint of my arm. I have been feeling loss of short term memory, i do sometimes feel fatigued through out the day, i loss weight easily in a few days, but i have high metabolism and I’m highly active, and sometimes i have night sweats. Could i have cancer or HIV? I feel i have these symptoms but to mention i do lift heavy weights that could sometimes damage the joints when not probably performed, and i do box(note: i haven’t participated in this sport for awhile so it can’t be a cause from my nosebleed) . I am a highly active individual, just from school and work alone drains me through out the day, but with my athleticism i don’t understand how i cannot withstand the day without being tired. To add as well I’ve been diagnosed with ADD when i was 12. Thank you. I’ve tried to make this as accurate as possible, and i hoping to receive an accurate answer. Very much appreciated, thank you for your time doctor.

Doctor: Welcome to Ask The Doctor.We are here to help you.Nose bleed known as Epistaxis occurs commonly due to following r easons:1. Sinusitis2. Nasal Polyposis3. High Blood pressure4. Bleeding disorders.So, I would advise you to see an ENT Specialist. He would examine you for any Nasal Polyposis. If not found, he would get following investigations done:1. X-ray PNS Water View2. Platelet count3. Bleeding and Clotting Time.4. Check your Blood pressure.If you are found to have sinusitis, I would advise following:1. To do steam inhalation 4-6 times a day.2. To take anti-allergic like Levocetirizine3. In cases, who don’t respond to anti-allergic drugs, Fluticasone Nasal spray helps greatly.Share my opinion with your doctor.I hope this helps.Stay Healthy.