Hello,My fiancee has high BP

Patient

Q: Hello,My fiancee is a 26 year old African-American male with an athletic build. 6 feet tall 210 pounds. his blood pressure is consistently high 158/100 ..I am very concerned. He has been eating balanced for about 2 years. He is known for having anger problems and holding stress, quickly irritated. Do you have any answer as to why his pressure is so high and what measures can be taken. We prefer to avoid pharmaceutical measures.

Doctor

A:   Welcome to Ask The Doctor.
We are here to help you.

His BP readings are high, and he would require to see a Doctor, who would investigate and start him on anti-hypertensive medications.

I would advise following investigations:
1. Kidney Function tests
2. Thyroid profile
3. Fasting Blood sugar
4. Fasting Lipid Profile
5. ECG.

I would advise him to get these investigations done. Based on the reports your doctor will start you him medications that would get his BP under control.
Commonly used antihypertensives are Amlodipine, Metoprolol, Telmisartan, Diuretics.
Also I would advise him to do regular exercises, and to shed some weight.

I hope it helps.
Stay Healthy.