Hello my wife is 14 week pregnant. Toxoplasmosis detected.

Patient: Hello…my wife is 14 weak pregnant.. In 8 the weak toxoplasmosis detected.now taking spiramycin daily 3 times..aftr 21 days toxoplasmosis checked the test again.infection exist ..now daily taking spiramycin daily. When the recheck required?. How to know infent is infected or not?pls answe

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query,If she is infected with toxoplasmosis in the first trimester, the risk that your baby will also be infected is about 15 percent. If you get infected in the second trimester, your baby’s risk is about 30 percent, and it’s 60 percent in the third trimester. However, while the transmission rate is higher in late pregnancy, toxoplasmosis is more likely to be severe for your baby if he becomes infected in the first trimester. If test results suggest that you got toxoplasmosis while pregnant, your practitioner may begin treating you with an antibiotic spiramycin that may lower your risk of transmitting the infection to your baby.And since not all maternal infections are transmitted to the baby, you may have an amniocentesis to determine whether your baby also has the infection. (The lab will do a special DNA test on your amniotic fluid to check for the presence of the parasite.) She will also have a series of ultrasounds throughout your pregnancy to look for abnormalities in your developing baby.Hope this helps you.Regards

View all posts