Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Hello, Recently Ive had an ingrown nail, then I cleaned it after it got infected

Hello, Recently Ive had an ingrown nail, then I cleaned it after it got infected

Patient: Hello, Recently Ive had an ingrown nail, then I cleaned it out after it had gotten infected, now, tissue is forming over the place where it was infected. Is this normal?

Doctor: Hi.Thanks for your query.This is usual for the tissues to grow over such a spot as this is the body’s natural inst inct to protect the body from possible ill-effects of the local problem.This is a natural response.You can consult a Doctor who would do cauterization of the area so that the growing mass is removed and also advise you whether you need a small surgery to removed the ingrowing part of the nails from its bed for permanent cure.In the meantime you can file-up the only the mid part of the nail so that the thinning in the center helps the lateral parts of the nails to get lifted off the bed and the problem may be solved.I hope you understand what I mean by and helps you to get a permanent cure.