Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Hello there My boyfriend and I have been trying for a baby

Hello there My boyfriend and I have been trying for a baby

Patient: Hello there. My boyfriend and I have been trying for a baby for about a year now. So I’m not on BC and he doesn’t wear protection. Well, a few days ago I started spotting and it lasted 3 days. It was not my period. My last period ended on the 4th of this month. It shouldn’t be due for another two weeks. My period is very regular. It was a light pinkish brown colour. Could this be implantation bleeding?

Doctor: Hi.Thank you for writing to Ask The Doctor.Implantation bleeding is one of the several signs of pregnancy and is t he result of the attachment of the fertilized egg to the lining of the uterus. This usually happens around 6-12 days after ovulation and fertilization. It is characteristically a lighter period of light pink or dark brown blood seen around the time of the expected periods or a few days earlier.Since you have mentioned that your periods are not due for another 2 weeks, what you are experiencing could be ovulation induced spotting. A mid-cycle light reddish brown discharge or spotting at the time of ovulation is commonly experienced by women and is a normal phenomenon.If it’s an ovulation related spotting, it would be followed 2 weeks later by heavier period.In any case, whenever in doubt about a pregnancy, the best way to know if you are pregnant or not is to do a home pregnancy test. I would recommend taking the test 2 weeks later for reliable results.Hope this helps.