Hello there My boyfriend and I have been trying for a baby

Q: Hello there. My boyfriend and I have been trying for a baby for about a year now. So I'm not on BC and he doesn't wear protection. Well, a few days ago I started spotting and it lasted 3 days. It was not my period. My last period ended on the 4th of this month. It shouldn't be due for another two weeks. My period is very regular. It was a light pinkish brown colour. Could this be implantation bleeding?

A:   Hi.
Thank you for writing to Ask The Doctor.

Implantation bleeding is one of the several signs of pregnancy and is the result of the attachment of the fertilized egg to the lining of the uterus. This usually happens around 6-12 days after ovulation and fertilization. It is characteristically a lighter period of light pink or dark brown blood seen around the time of the expected periods or a few days earlier.
Since you have mentioned that your periods are not due for another 2 weeks, what you are experiencing could be ovulation induced spotting. A mid-cycle light reddish brown discharge or spotting at the time of ovulation is commonly experienced by women and is a normal phenomenon.
If it's an ovulation related spotting, it would be followed 2 weeks later by heavier period.
In any case, whenever in doubt about a pregnancy, the best way to know if you are pregnant or not is to do a home pregnancy test. I would recommend taking the test 2 weeks later for reliable results.

Hope this helps.