Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Hello.I am a fourteen year old girl, for the

Hello.I am a fourteen year old girl, for the

Patient: Hello.I am a fourteen year old girl, for the past year, I have been suffering from iron deficiency anemia. I recently got my blood report, my MCV was 77 my Iron level was 31, and my RBC morphology showed (+) microcytosis. Everything else in my blood report was normal and within the normal range. I need your advice on a suitable iron supplement I can take.

Doctor: Hi,Thanks for the query.I understand your concern.According to your reports you are having microcytic hypochr omic anemia possibly due to iron deficiency.You can choose iron supplements containing ferrous fumarate, ferrous sulphate etc which are better digestible with your doctor’s advice.Along with these taking iron-rich foods like red meat, eggs, poultry, fish, legumes, fortified cereals, green leafy vegetables etc is also important.Take care.

Patient: Thank you for you help doctor. I have one last question, do you think Ferrous Sulfate tablets 195 mg would be suitable for me? I have no allergies or any other medical conditions that will be affected while taking these supplements.