Help about contraceptives

Patient

Q: I had an unprotected sex .and had taken ipill within 12 hours of the sex. will it be safe ?

Symptoms:  Head ache. abdomen pain
Doctor

I pill is an emergency contraception which is supposed to be taken within 72 hours of sex, the earlier, the better. In your case, there is nothing much to worry about pregnancy as you have taken it on time. But always remember there is no contraceptive which is 100 % effective in preventing pregnancy.With the pill, you can expect a failure rate of 0.5%.In case you experience early pregnancy symptoms and miss your next cycle, do a pregnancy test to rule out pregnancy.
Hope this helped.