Help!!! herpes outbreak

Patient

Q: I was diagnosed with herpes about 10 years go, this is the first time i am having a recurrent outbreak that just wont go away, gets a bit better then starts all over again.. its been 30 plus days is this normal?

Symptoms:  Blisters, pain urinating
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. Recurrent herpes outbreaks are not uncommon, and may be due to the fact that this is your very first outbreak. We recommend that continue with your antiviral medication (Valtrex), and report back to your doctor should this outbreak does not resolve within the next 7-10 days. Once this outbreak clears, you may need to consider taking a suppressive medication which can be taken daily to prevent outbreaks. This needs to be discussed with your doctor after a thorough examination is performed to determine your candidacy for this medication.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com