Help, I'm freaking out I have been having a liitle


Q: Help, I'm freaking out. I have been having a liitle tingling in the right side of my right hand and right side of my lower right leg. Started a few weeks ago. Now it just occasionally is achy. I'm now noticing some twitching in various parts of body. Freaking out it could be ALS. I'm a very anxious person.

Symptoms:  I'm freaking out. I had some tingling in right side of right hand and also in right side of right leg. Started few weeks ago. Now it's just a bit achy. Also sometimes in one toe. Just stared noticing twitching in various parts of body. Could it be ALS. My worst fear. I'm a very anxious person!

A:   Hello
Welcome to Ask The Doctor. We are here for your help.

A person with ALS or Multiple Sclerosis (MS) can have almost any neurological symptom or sign.
Autonomic, visual, motor, and sensory problems are most common and may include loss of sensitivity or changes in sensation such as tingling, pins and needles or numbness, muscle weakness, pronounced reflexes, muscle spasms, ataxia, problems with speech or swallowing, visual problems, feeling tired, and bladder and bowel difficulties.

So, the symptoms you are experiencing is just a small symptom of that, and we really don't suspect ALS in the first go on the basis of the symptoms you have mentioned.
Most commonly these symptoms are due to Anxiety, Hypothyroidism, Diabetes, Calcium, Magnesium and vitamin D deficiency.
In such scenario, you need to get tested for these. Get a thyroid profile, fasting blood sugar, Calcium and Vitamin D levels.
If everything is normal, and the symptoms are pronounced, then we suspect ALS or MS.
The most commonly used diagnostic tools are neuroimaging, analysis of cerebrospinal fluid and evoked potentials. Magnetic resonance imaging of the brain and spine may show areas of demyelination.
The most important problem with MS is that is disintegrated in time and space, so it is not essential that you will have all the symptoms at the same time.
See your doctor. Get tested as we have discussed for the common causes. If any issue is found you will be treated for that, otherwise your doctor will wait and watch for any other symptoms, and if they appear, your doctor will consider ALS or MS.

I hope it helps. If you have any further query, please ask me.
Stay Healthy

Related Q&A

Q: I am a 69 year old woman and have suffered from a lack of iron all my life. I do not take regular medicine but every...

Q: Hi. I have a 20 month old daughter who has had ear infections 5 times in the last 7 months and currently has a sinus ...

Q: Hello. I had sex on 23rd Oct. With protection. The condom did not break but I felt like there was some semen leakage ...

Q: I have an issue when I rub and massage my elbow I get a tingling sensation in my pinky and ring finger

Q: Hi i m 25 years old n me n my husband had unprotected sex on the last day of my menstrual cycle ie on 25th Jan n I ha...


Dr. James Obaji M.D.

  • 247 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

  • 190 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Pat Golden M.D.

  • 169 Reviews
  • Cardiologist

Dr. Kunaal Jindal M.D.

  • 112 Reviews
  • Plastic Surgeon