Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Help me find out please

Help me find out please

Patient: I have irregular cycles and I always come on every 3 months but this time it hasn’t come on yet and I took a test and it was negative what could possibly be wrong?

Symptoms: I have been have stomach pains

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query.Oligomenorrhoea or delayed menses in reproductive age group are more often associated with PCOS or polycystic ovarian syndrome. This is associated with delayed menses, hirsutism or increased bodily hair growth and polycystic ovaries on ultrasound. This is commonly associated with obesity and hence causes increased insulin resistance which prevents ovulation. Such women have infertility issues most commonly. It is necessary that you should get a hormonal profile done to check for hyperandrogenemia and an ultrasound pelvis for cos. If detected then you would have to be placed on regular oral combined contraceptive pills for a period of 6 months to regularize your cycles.Please visit your Physician soon for complete Gyne-evaluation.Regards