Help me it's really annoying me now what can I do

Patient

Q: I'm having problems with my jaw keep locking always on the left side

Symptoms:  Difficulty eating
Can't open mouth fully
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. It is possible that you are experiencing a condition known as temporomandibular joint dysfunction (TMJ dysfunction). The temporomandibular joint is the commonly referred to as the jaw. TMJ dysfunction can be caused by arthritis of the TMJ joint, previous injury to the TMJ joint, or even erosion of the cartilage of the TMJ. This can be very painful and can lead to 'locking' episodes where one is able to close or open their jaws. We strongly recommend that you that you have your doctor assess you for TMJ dysfunction. You will need to have an MRI of your jaw, as well as a physical examination of the range of motion of the joint. Treatment of TMJ dysfunction starts by addressing the exact cause of condition. Pain medications and muscle relaxants may be prescribed to treat the symptoms any you may also need physiotherapy to preserve the range of motion of your jaw. Please follow up with your doctor.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com