Help me with a pregnancy about hida scan effects.

Patient

Q: My husband is having a hida scan done. I am 24 weeks pregnant is it safe for him to be around me after the scan?

Doctor

Hida scan is a radioactive tracer test and the amount of radioactive tracer injected into arm during a HIDA scan is very small. The radioactive tracer gives off radiation for several hours and then becomes inactive. After the test , your husband is likely to still have some of the radioactive tracer in his body. The substance will leave his body through your urine over the next day or two.He supposed to drink lot of water to pass it out through urine and he must flush toilets after urination before you use them .
So it is advised that to be on a safe side, it is better to stay away or avoid intimacy for next 48 hrs to avoid any radioactive exposure which is minimal though and may not cause any effect to the fetus but its always good to be protective when we can.
I hope i have answered your query in detail,
wishing you good health,
regards