Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Help me with my Knee pain.

Help me with my Knee pain.

Patient: Hi im a 39 yr old female ,an for the past couple months have been gettin bad pains in both knees the pain is there all the time an gets worse when ive been sat for a while an as i stand they are stiff an more painful walkin for a long time can make them more painful too i have been takin ibrufin pain killer but it does not help an advise would be much apreciated thank you .

Doctor: Knee pain is a common complaint in my practice and I do understand what you are going through. There may be a lot of con ditions that lead to knee pain. Medical conditions like osteoarthritis, gout, rheumatoid arthritis, knee injury, ligament or tendon inflammation and injury, infection all may cause knee pain. In view of the history that you have given, the most probable diagnosis would be osteoarthritis. Also called degenerative arthritis, osteoarthritis affects the cartilage in your knee and is caused by wear and tear on the knee cartilage with age.In the initial phases, the pain is usually relieved with rest but the condition may progress causing pain even at rest. You may see evidence of swelling and restricted movement of the joint. You can prevent futher aggravating the condition with rest, refrain from lifting heavy weight, weight loss and mild exercise to strengthen the muscles of the knee may also help to slow the progress of the disease.If the pain continues even with these measures, I would advise you to consult with your doctor for stronger painkillers, intra-articular injection of corticosteroids or surgeries in extreme cases.