Help question on metronidazole pill

Patient : I had to take metronidazole pill form for 7 days and I finished today my last pill. New years eve is tomorrow can I drink?
Symptoms:  Had a bacterial infection
Doctor :   Hello, Thanks for choosing "Ask The Doctor" for posting your query. Well, metronidazole cross reacts with al cohol and the effect of metronidazole generally lasts for 4-7 days after stopping the medicines. So it would be wise to skip the alcohol on this new year eve. If at all you take alcohol and develop any side-effects, do drink plenty of water to flush out the troubling metabolites (acetaldehyde) of alcohol. Hope I am able to answer your concerns. Wish you good health!