Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Help with ankle injury rehab

Help with ankle injury rehab

Patient: Doctor states I have a tibiotalar joint injury and anterior talofibular ligament injury on both ankles.I’m in an air cast and picking up a walking cane today haha, I’d like to get back to some sort of exercise plan or I’m wondering what a good rehab plan would be. Really want this to get better ASAP so I can start lifting weights again soon.

Doctor: Thank you for your question. Recovery from injuries to tibiotalar joint and anterior talofibular ligament cannot be rush ed in anyway. If you do not take enough time and take proper precautions in the recovery process you can develop complications of possible permanent pain, discomfort, and a fallen arch (flat feet) of the affected foot, which may require surgical correction.It is important that while you have your cast you do not over exert yourself, and engage in very light activities only as tolerated. Depending on the severity of the injury, after your cast is removed, you may require physiotherapy treatment. This is the safest and best way of rehabilitating your injured foot and will provide you with the best opportunity to return to normal function. We recommend that you take it easy until your cast is removed. Once it is removed and you are assessed by your doctor, you will have a better idea as to what activities and exercises you will be able to perform.Thank you for choosing Askthedoctor.com