Help with clearing mucus in throat

Q: I have allergies and use the nasal spray flonase. For about a week now my nose is clear and not stopped up but I have an extremely dry throat and I don't really know how to describe it but I need to clear my throat quite often of phlegm. It is clear and not infected. I have gargled with salt water. I have used saline sprays. I have even used cough medicine trying to loosen up the mucus to get it out. I'm so afraid it might turn into an infection and get into my lungs. Any Suggestions?

A:   Your allergies cause inflammation of your airways including your throat. This inflammation results in the production of mucus. Flonase is a steroid designed to reduce the inflammation and thus reduce mucus production. Continued use if this medication should see all your symptoms resolve. In the meantime, you may consider the use of a mucolytic agent such as Bromhexine. These agents make the mucus more 'watery' and thus easier to expel.