Help with cold and asthma

Patient

Q: I am a distance runner for track and cross country, i also have asthma, i got sick 4 weeks ago and usually when i get sick, i get shortness of breathe. the shortness of breathe went away after 4 days and i felt great bun than after another 3 days, it came back. now i have trouble breathing through my noise and i have a shortness of breathe and this impacts me when im doing my runs, alot

Doctor

A:   Here are a few measures to help you control and prevent your asthma symptoms and increase performance on the tracks:

Always carry your bronchiodilating inhaler with you at all times and use it at the first sign of wheezing.
Use your inhaler several minutes before exercise. It may reduce your chances of an exercise-induced asthma attack.
Exercise at a low intensity in the beginning and gradually build over a period of time.
Incorporate an extended warmup and cool-down period.
If asthma symptoms occur, reduce your exercise intensity.
If you must run in cold weather, wear a facemask or scarf that covers your nose and mouth to help keep the cold air from irritating your airways.
Drink plenty of fluids before and during exercise.
A warm bath or shower immediately after your run may also help.
Be aware of environmental factors that can trigger an asthma attack, such as high or low temperatures, high pollen count or heavy air pollution.

Here are a few measures to help you control and prevent your asthma symptoms and increase performance on the tracks: