HELP WITH NUVARING

Patient : I am currently using Nuvaring. last month i wasnt able to get one in time and just used condoms. when i put the new one in on sunday, am i safe or do i need to use condoms for another month?
Doctor :   By stopping NuvaRing, you are essentially restarting it as if it was your first month using it. As long as the Nuvaring insert is started within 5 days of the first day of your last cycle, you are considered to be protected from pregnancy after 1 week of use.  If you insert NuvaRing on Day 1, it is not necessary to use an extra method of birth control. I hope this clarifies things.