Hemangioma of the Spine

Patient

Q: I was recently diagnosed with an atypical hemangioma of the spine, but no one really explained to me what this is? Can someone please explain this to me.

Doctor

A:   A hemangioma is abnormal collection of blood vessels. Hemangiomas of the spine most often do no not cause any symptoms. An atypical hemangioma of the spine is one which causes symptoms or has a slight variation in appearance. Hemangiomas of the spine do not require treatment unless they cause symptoms. Treatment options include radiation therapy and very rarely, open surgery.