Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Hematocolpus and genital tract outflow obstruction

Hematocolpus and genital tract outflow obstruction

Patient: My periods have been off since i started but now lately the blood is not coming out im bleeding inside but its not travling out why would that be?

Doctor: I do understand your concern. A proper genital tract outflow is important for the expulsion of normal secretions from th e cervix and vagina. However in some cases, the vagina gets filled with menstrual blood because of an imperforate hymen, this condition is known as hematocolpos. I would advise that you see your doctor for a physical examination. Hematocolpos can be treated with repair of the hymen.