Hemoglobin levels after GI bleed - how long before it returns to normal?

Q: How long can it take after an upper GI bleed is resolved for hemoglobin levels to return to normal? I had an upper GI bleed in September (actual source of bleed was not found). My hemoglobin level dropped to 8.6. I was not given any blood since my level never dropped below 8. My hemoglobin level was checked again yesterday and is now 13.3, about the same as it was a few weeks after the bleeding stopped. I had a routine physical 2 months before the bleedng episode and it showed my level at 15.6. Should I expect it to return to that level? How long could this take?