Hemoglobin of 8.8, what does it mean?

Patient

Q: I went to the doctor and had blood work done, and my hemoglobin came back at 8.8, what does that mean?

Doctor

A:   Your results seem to indicate iron deficiency anemia which is not very uncommon in women. You should include in your diet items such as egg yolk, fish, meats (liver is the highest source), raisins, whole-grain bread, peas and beans, dates, spinach, broccoli and other green leafy vegetables, fruits like oranges, strawberries,grapefruit etc.You should also visit your GP who may prescribe an iron supplement to help boost your iron levels.
Your results seem to indicate iron deficiency anemia which is not very uncommon in women. You should include in your diet items such as egg yolk, fish, meats (liver is the highest source),
raisins, whole-grain bread, peas and beans, dates, spinach, broccoli and other green leafy vegetables, fruits like oranges, strawberries,grapefruit etc.You should also visit your GP who may prescribe an iron supplement to boost iron levels.