x
177 Physicians Online

Question:

Hemorrhagic cyst after five months

I had an ultrasound done due to pain and excessive menstrual bleeding. They found a 1.6 hemorrhagic cyst and said to follow up with an ultrasound in three months. I followed up At 5 months (2 weeks ago) and they said I still have the cyst. That it is still pretty much the same. It is 1.8 now. She said it's no biggy and we will follow up with another ultrasound in 3 months. My question is, is this protocol normal? I am doing pretty ok. I have horrible pain when I ovulate up until - few days into my period. I also bleed tons the first few days. I have had nausea as well. She doesn't seem to understand this is painful. But my main concern is if she is missing something. Can these thing last this long? I know it isn't very large, so hopefully It is ok. I had one rupture 10 years ago and broke a blood vessel and it was beyond painful.

Answer:

When a hemorrhagic cyst is small and there is no marked symptoms related to the cyst, an expectant management with periodic reassement by ultrasound every 3 months is normal management protocol. If the cyst does not resolve after 2-3 ultrasounds, further investigation may be required then. Usually a laproscopic cystectomy is performed if the cyst size is less than 6cm.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA