Hep A injections for toddler

Q: I have an 18 month old toddler and are travelling to Bali - is it safe for him to receive the Hep A injection? He is up to date with all his immunisations and is healthy

A:   Havrix junior is safe for infants over the age of one. 2 injections are required for long lasting immunity.  The following individuals should not be immunized with Havrix:
Anyone less than one year of age.
Anyone who is sick with a sudden fever or infection worse than a cold on the day the vaccine is to be given should wait until they feel better to receive the vaccine.
Anyone who has a serious illness on the day the needle is to be given.
Anyone who is allergic to aluminum, 2-phenoxyethanol, neomycin or formaldehyde.
Anyone who has had a severe reaction to this vaccine in the past.
Anyone who may be pregnant at the time of the vaccine, unless felt to be indicated by their physician.
Discuss with your doctor to ensure your child does not have any contraindications to receiving the vaccine. The second dose is usually given 6-12 months after the first dose.

Have a safe journey