x
180 Physicians Online

Question:

Hernia after Laparoscopic Appendectomy

About a week ago I had my appendix removed. But I'm a little confused, before getting released 1 doctor told me not to carry any books and not to where a backpack, another told me it would be okay. I have a friend who had an appendectomy and somehow got a hernia after, but I don't know how much he was straining himself. So I'm hoping for some clarification. Can I carry books in my arms if so about what weight? Can I carry a backpack? Am I at an increased risk for a hernia? Additional Information: 17 years old, female, laproscopic appendectomy, 1 week after surgery, no health problems

Answer:

It is highly unlikely that you will develop a hernia after laparoscopic surgery. It is likely that your friend who developed a hernia had an open appendectomy which is traditionally how the appendix is removed. This involves making an incision in the lower right abdomen about 3 inches long. In Laparoscopic surgey much smaller incisios are used which reduces the lieklihood of developing a hernia. You should be able to go about all your normal activities including carrying your books and backpack however you should avoid strenous exercise for the next few weeks.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA