x
193 Physicians Online

Question:

Herniated disc and peripheral neuropathy?

Could a herniated disc be a cause of peripheral neuropathy? I do not have diabetes!

Answer:

A herniated disc may produce a root nerve compression at a given level of the spine, that may cause an inflammation of the nerves and radiated pain to the arms or legs depending on the level of compression. But the peripheral neuropathy is something different, it is a disease of the peripheral nerves not produced by compression, but by some factors as: metabolic (diabetes), vitamin deficiency (Vit. B12), mineral deficiency (hypocalcemia),  infectious (Guillain Barre) amongst others. So, the answer to your question is: no, a herniated disc is not likely to cause a peripheral neuropathy.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA