Herpes?

Patient

Q: I bought a swimsuit bottom from a thrift store. I machine washed it before wearing it. I have OCD and now keep wearing that it may be possible to have gotten a STD from wearing the bottoms. Is this possible? Do I need to schedule a Dr. appointment for testing? I'm also 30 weeks pregnant. Thank You

Doctor

A:   It would very unlikely almost impossible for the virus to be alive in the clothes. Also a person can only get HSV infection during sexual contact with someone who has a genital HSV  infection. Transmission can occur from an infected partner who does not have a visible sore and may not know that he or she is infected. I hope I cleared your doubt.