Herpes, staph, or folliculitis?

Q: A few months ago, I developed some red bumps in my genital area where I shave. I thought it was just razor bumps at first, continued to shave, and it only got worse. The bumps were small and red, some looked like little pimples. There was splotchiness too. They were itchy but not overwhelmingly painful, and I seemed to experience some tingling sensations. These bumps were all over my genital region where I have hair. A doctor took a quick look and said she was pretty sure it was folliculitis, but to follow up with another appointment. My PA, who I see regularly, said she wasn't convinced it was folliculitis because not all of the bumps had a visible hair in them, but most of them did. She said since it seemed to be clearing up that I shouldn't worry about it, and could buy some antibacterial or anti fungal creams. Months later, I am still bothered with it. Right when it would seem to be gone, a few more bumps would come up. This could have been because I was shaving prematurely when I thought the infection was gone. Now, when I was almost POSITIVE the infection was gone for good, the redness/splotchiness had cleared up, and all the bumps were gone, I noticed a large red, hard bump right in between my thigh and labia. It looked different from the other bumps, mostly just because it was bigger. There seems to be a tiny one right beside it with a hair follicle in the middle. When I first noticed the bump, it was EXTREMELY painful. I'm guessing it ruptured because after some intense pain, it no longer hurts. It is still reddish, but doesn't seem as hard. Then there was some tingling like the initial outbreak, and a few very small bumps have appeared just like before.

There has been no intense pain except for this one larger boil, mostly just itchiness and soreness.

I have also been experiencing something that I thought was hives right around the time of this infection, but that has decreased dramatically. Now though, I still sometimes will notice a faint red, splotchy rash with a few pimple-like bumps that comes and goes, although it is no longer itchy. Could this be related? Or just a side effect or a down trodden immune system?

Is this herpes, staph, or some other type of folliculitis? I have another appointment tomorrow but I am driving myself crazy and would just like some input.