Hey I have a mild disc space narrowing at l5-s1

Patient

Q: Hey I have a mild disc space narrowing at l5-s1. And my pain pain has been bad. Scale of 1 to 10 I would say 7 or 6. I need help what does that mean. I play football as well too. Does this mean I can't play football anymore ?

Hey I have a mild disc spac...-1
Doctor

Thank you for your medical query at AskTheDoctor.com

In between all our discs or vertebras, there is some amount of space so that the friction between joints are reduced and also vital nerve structures can pass through without any obstruction.
Once this space is narrowed, there is a lot of friction between both the vertebras, leading to erosion and destruction of the bone. Also, vital nerve structures are compressed, leading to weakness and numbness of the affected areas.

Hope this was helpful,
Regards.