Hi! 1 month ago I got a really bad cold

Patient: Hi! 1 month ago I got a really bad cold. It’s not uncommon for me to get sick about once a year and lose my voice which Is what happened. I also had a sore throat, runny and stuffy nose and a cough that sounded like a seal. After being sick for about 3 weeks and not getting much better, I went to the doctor last Saturday. He said my lymph nodes weren’t swollen and he felt my cold had already been over for about a week but that my throat was red and he could see post nasal drip. He put me on Flonase spray once a day for 30 days and Claritin 12 hour twice a day for a week. After I left his office I got into a coughing fit and my right ribs immediately began to hurt like I’d pulled a muscle. After icing them and using heat it subsided a bit throughout the week but I woke up yesterday morning with bad rib pain on both sides and back pain too. I’ve been using the heating pad and it’s helped some on my ribs but there is still a lot of pain. I also sometimes feel like I am swallowing a lump which I think is mucus. I also still have coughing and some laryngitis that I cannot get rid of. I talk professionally for a living and the laryngitis is really making my work difficult. My coughs have turned mostly dry but I am still getting the seal cough. I take my last two Claritin pills today but I’m not better. And now the rib and back pain are giving me problems. Does any of this point to anything specific?

Doctor: HelloWelcome to Ask The Doctor.You seem to be suffering from Upper Respiratory tract infection (URTI) associated w ith Acute Laryngitis.For URTI, I advise as follows:1. To take an antibiotic like Azithromycin or Amoxycillin.2. To take an anti-allergic like Levocetrizine, chlorpheniramine.3. To do warm saline gargles. You can add a tablet of Aspirin in water and do gargles with that.4. To do steam inhalation5. To take Paracetamol on as or when required basis for fever and body pains.Share my opinion with your doctor before you act upon it.I hope it helps.Stay Healthy